Workers and business owners in tourism-related businesses learn about the new Tourism Return-to-Work Grant Program which was announced as part of Governor Hochul's $450 Million "Bring Back Tourism, Bring Back Jobs" Inclusive Recovery Package.
The two big things for tourism from the recovery package are the
- $100 Million in One-Time Payments to Support Hardest-Hit Tourism Workers and
- $100 Million in Grants to Encourage Tourism Employers to Rehire Staff
Please note that detailed eligibility criteria will be released by Empire State Development in the coming weeks.
Examples of Eligible Business Types may include:
- Art and cultural organizations
- Entertainment businesses
- Amusement businesses
- Scenic and sightseeing tour operators
- Other tourism businesses
As a job creation-focused program, a wide range of for-profit and non-profit tourism businesses are expected to be eligible, provided:
- Businesses are able to demonstrate an economic hardship from the COVID-19 pandemic; and
- Businesses increase their total number of employees during the calendar year 2022 compared with 2021.
- Businesses will be eligible for grants of up to $5,000 per net new full-time employee increase, and up to $2,500 per net new part-time employee increase during 2022.
Employment increases will be based on total employment and not specific individual employees; i.e., the position is not required to re-hire the same individual, as long as the company backfills any departing workers with new workers.
Learn More / Stay Connected to the Program
Learn more on about the New York State Tourism Return-to-Work Grant Program
- NYS Empire State Development Tourism Return-to-Work Grant Program
- Governor Hochul Announces Major $450 Million "Bring Back Tourism, Bring Back Jobs" Inclusive Recovery Package, 2021-11-08, NYS ESD
- See the article "Hochul announces funding for NY tourism, including payments to workers" from the Olean Times Herald, 2021-11-08