Business Permits & Licenses

Business Registration/Permit Process

Starting or Expanding your Business may require a NYS Business Permit. The NYS Online Permit Assistance & Licensing Wizard will ask you a series of questions about a business to determine what registrations, permits and/or licenses are required.

For example, we are opening a liquor store as a sole proprietorship and plan on having at least 1 employee, besides the owner, and after answering the questions, we are informed that we need to:

  • for a Sole Proprietorship we must file an "assumed name certificate" AKA "Doing Business As" (DBA) with the county clerk where the business is domiciled.
  • apply for a Liquor Store License in New York State
  • apply for a Certificate of Authority to Collect Sales Tax
  • apply for Alcohol Dealer Registration
  • apply for a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • learn about Unemployment Insurance
  • learn about Workers' Compensation and Employers' Liability Insurance
  • and learn about Disability Benefits Coverage

Occupations Requiring a License / Registration

Please visit the New York State Division of Licensing Services for a list of occupations that require registration or licensing in New York State.

SBA Search for Business Licenses and Permits

Every business needs one or more federal, state or local licenses or permits to operate. Licenses can range from a basic operating license to very specific permits. Regulations vary by industry, state and locality, so it's very important to understand the licensing rules where your business is located. Not complying with licensing and permitting regulations can lead to expensive fines and put your business at serious risk. Please the SBA website for more information.

Building Permit

Prior to building or improving a structure in Cattaraugus County, you must first contact the local municipality about what building permits your project may need and any zoning permits that may be required. Do not skip this step as your business may be fined if you improve a building prior to having it reviewed by the local building code enforcement officer.

Zoning Permit

Before construction or moving into a location to start a business, you will want to contact the local municipality to request zoning information. View the Cattaraugus County zoning map for municipalities with zoning. If you have difficulty contacting the local municipality, then please contact the Cattaraugus County Planning Department with your businesses location to be notified of that location's zoning.

Permit to Operate

If you are starting a business that falls into any of the following categories then you will need a Permit to Operate from the Cattaraugus County Department of Health.

  • Food Service Establishments (permanent and temporary) such as Restaurants and Temporary Food Stands
  • Temporary Residences (Hotels, Motels, Cabin Colonies)
  • Aquatic Facilities (Public Pools, Bathing Beaches, Spray Grounds)
  • Mobile Home Parks
  • Campgrounds
  • Children's Camps
  • Migrant Worker Camps
  • Tattoo Shops

Food Permits

Apply for a Temporary Food Service Permit

Do you have Permit or Licensing questions?

Please contact us with your business questions or comments.